Welcome to the Mythic North.
In dark forests, beyond the mountains, by black lakes in hidden groves. At your doorstep. In the shadows, something stirs. Strange beings. Twisted creatures, lurking at the edge of vision. Watching. Waiting. Unseen by most, but not by you. You see them for what they really are. Vaesen.
Welcome to the Mythic North – northern Europe of the nineteenth century, but not as we know it today. A land where the myths are real. A cold reach covered by vast forests, its few cities lonely beacons of industry and enlightenment – a new civilization dawning. But in the countryside, the old ways still hold sway. There, people know what lurks in the dark.
They know to fear it.
Winner of three ENNIE Awards 2021Best Art and Cover
Best Art and Interior
“A horrifying delight that taps into some of Scandinavia’s chilliest bits of folklore.”Tabletop Gaming Magazine
“I was not too surprised when Vaesen turned out to be good. I just did not expect it to be this good.”Save or Quit
Vaesen – Nordic Horror Roleplaying is based on the work of Swedish illustrator and author Johan Egerkrans, Vaesen presents a dark Gothic setting steeped in Nordic folklore and old myths of Scandinavia. The game mechanics use an adapted version of the award-winning Year Zero Engine.
- Ten ready to use archetypes let you create a character in minutes – or use the included life path tables and let the dice decide.
- Quick and flavorful rules for combat, investigations and horror.
- Rules for developing the player characters’ headquarters during campaign play.
- A detailed gazetteer of the Mythic North setting and the town of Upsala.
- A score of bloodcurdling vaesen to encounter, all beautifully illustrated by Johan Egerkrans.
- An introductory Mystery called The Dance of Dreams.