Roleplaying in the world of The Lord of the Rings™
Enter the world of Middle-earth with The One Ring™, the official tabletop roleplaying game based on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. Designed specifically to evoke the atmosphere of The Hobbit™ and The Lord of the Rings™, the game contains rules for creating heroes and sending them off on adventures in a land threatened by the growing Shadow.
This beautifully illustrated, full-colour hardcover manual presents Middle-earth as it was twenty years after Bilbo Baggins’ remarkable disappearance and unexpected return. The great events narrated in The Lord of the Rings™ are still fifty years away, leaving plenty of room to narrate stories worthy of an epic.
Gold ENNIE Winner 2022 for Best Art, Interior
“Must play. A staggeringly beautiful adaptation of Middle-earth.”Tabletop Gaming Magazine
“The One Ring is the ideal RPG for those looking to venture back into a familiar fantasy world, while also getting the chance to discover and explore new corners of Middle-earth as their own creations. In many ways, fantasy RPGs don’t get much more fantasy than this.”Dicebreaker
“By firmly setting The One Ring within a microcosm of a massive, familiar world, the book pushes the narrative beyond the traditional hero’s journey — the same push against traditional heroic structures that Tolkien himself commented on in his books. There’s still space for the pervasive classic swords-and-sorcery roleplaying that many people love, but there’s also an acknowledgment that sometimes the hero’s journey really can be just going there and coming back again.”Polygon
It is the year 2965 of the Third Age and the Shadow is returning. Twenty-four years ago, an alliance of Elves, Men, and Dwarves defeated a horde of Orcs and Wild Wolves, under a sky darkened by Giant Bats, inaugurating a new era of prosperity for the Free Peoples. But twenty years is a long time for peace to last, and in many dark corners of the earth a shadow is lengthening once again.
Rumours of strange things happening outside the borders of civilised lands are spreading with increasing regularity and, while they are dismissed by most as fireside-tales and children’s stories, they sometimes reach the ears of individuals who recognise the sinister truth they hide.
These are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers and, when they prevail, they hail them as heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names.
- Rules for travelling across the land (Journey), facing frightening foes (Combat), and meeting the personalities of Middle-earth (Council).
- Thorough advice for the Loremaster on how to bring Middle-earth to life, including rules for magical treasure, the Shadow, and the Eye of Mordor.
- In-depth information on six Patrons – individuals sponsoring the adventures of the Player-heroes – including Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf the Grey.
- A bestiary containing a spread of adversaries, from lowly Orc Soldiers and Highway-robbers, to monstrous Cave-trolls and Barrow-wights.
- Rules to create your very own Nameless Things – unknowable beings from the dark corners of the world.
- A complete Landmark adventure, The Star of the Mist, with extra support for new Loremasters, in the form of tutorial advice throughout.